In the interests of our shareholders and clients we strive to ensure that our risks remain commensurate with our capital resources. Our quantitative risk management provides a uniform framework for the evaluation and steering of all risks affecting the company as well as of our capital position. In this context, the internal capital model is our central tool. The internal capital model of the Hannover Re Group is a stochastic enterprise model. It covers all subsidiaries and business groups of the Hannover Re Group. The central variable in risk and enterprise management is the economic capital, which is calculated according to market-consistent measurement principles and in many respects corresponds to the own funds under Solvency II. Hannover Re’s internal capital model reflects all risks that influence the development of the economic capital. They are split into underwriting risks, market risks, counterparty default risks and operational risks. For each of these risk classes we have identified a number of risk factors for which we define probability distributions. These risk factors include, for example, economic indicators such as interest rates, exchange rates and inflation indices, but also insurance-specific indicators such as the mortality of a particular age group within our portfolio of insureds in a particular country or the number of natural catastrophes in a certain region and the insured loss amount per catastrophe. The specification of the probability distributions for the risk factors draws upon historical and publically available data as well as on the internal data resources of the Hannover Re Group. The process is further supplemented by the know-how of internal and external experts. The fit of the probability distributions is regularly checked by our specialist departments, although more importantly it is also verified in the context of the regular, company-wide use of the capital model when assessing risks and allocating the cost of capital. Hannover Re calculates the required risk capital as the Value at Risk (VaR) of the economic change in value over a period of one year with a confidence level of 99.97%. This reflects the goal of not exceeding a one-year ruin probability of 0.03%. The internal target capitalisation of the Hannover Re Group is therefore significantly higher than the confidence level of 99.5% which will be required in future under Solvency II. It goes without saying that Hannover Rück SE also meets the current capital requirements set by regulators. The capital coverage ratio of Hannover Rück SE under Solvency I stood at 136% as at 31 December 2014. Since the corresponding calculation is neither market-consistent nor risk-based a relevant comparison with the coverage ratio under the internal capital model is not possible.
The Hannover Re Group is seeking approval of its internal model for the determination of regulatory capital under Solvency II. If approval is given and depending on the final measurement rules of Solvency II, the capitalisation with a confidence level of 99.5% constitutes an indication of the fulfilment of future regulatory requirements. Our excess capital coverage at the target confidence level of 99.97% is currently very comfortable. Hannover Re is well capitalised and our available capital comfortably exceeds the currently required capital:
|Available capital and required risk capital|
|in EUR million||2014||2013|
|Available economic capital||12,443.9||11,143.9|
|Required risk capital||7,786.6||4,353.1||6,896.9||3,375.2|
|Capital coverage ratio||159.8%||285.9%||161.6%||330.2%|
We hold additional capital above all to meet the requirements of the rating agencies for our target rating and to be able to act flexibly on business opportunities. We strive for a rating from the rating agencies most relevant to our industry that facilitates and secures our access to all reinsurance business worldwide. Hannover Re is analysed by the rating agencies Standard & Poor’s (S & P) and A.M. Best as part of an interactive rating process, meaning that both these rating agencies are also given access to confidential information about Hannover Re. The current financial strength ratings are assessed as “AA-” (Very Strong, stable outlook) by Standard & Poor’s and “A+” (Superior, stable outlook) by A.M. Best. Standard & Poor’s evaluates Hannover Re’s risk management as “Very Strong”, the best possible rating. The ratings highlight, in particular, the company’s very good risk management, the consistent and systematic implementation of corporate strategy by management and the excellent capital resources. Hannover Re’s internal capital model is also examined as part of the rating. Based on this review, Standard & Poor’s factors the results of the internal capital model of the Hannover Re Group into the determination of the target capital for the rating.
Hannover Re is well capitalised and our available capital significantly exceeds the current capital requirement, as is also reflected in the following management ratios.
|Reserves / premium4||295.7%||270.6%||268.4%||292.7%||275.1%|
|1 (Shareholders’ equity + hybrid capital) / net premium earned|
2 Hybrid capital / shareholders’ equity
3 EBIT / interest on hybrid capital
4 Net reserves / net premium earned